Shukkeien was created in the year Genna 6 (1620) by Shigeyasu Ueda, a high-ranking retainer in the service of the Asano Clan who was also a renowned master of tea ceremony, to serve as a villa for Asano feudal lords.
The garden's interior, said to have been modeled on the world-famous scenic beauty of China's Xī Hú (West Lake), was named "Shukkeien" (meaning "condensed scenery garden") for condensing into a single garden the scenery of a mountain river, the feel of Kyoto and the essence of a place deep in the mountains.
Several islands, large and small, rise out of the pond, called "Takueichi", that was created in the center of the garden and the clever arrangement of ravines, bridges and arbors allows visitors to enjoy taking a stroll around them.
Thus, Shukkeien is also known as a strolling garden. Although Shukkeien was virtually destroyed in the Atomic Bombing of Hiroshima in the year Showa 20 (1945), the "Seifukan" and "Meigetsutei" tea houses have now been restored.
|Address||〒730-0014 2-11 Kami-nobori-cho, Naka-ku, Hiroshima-shi|
|Access||A ten-minute walk from Hiroshima Station. Or, a two-minute walk from "Shukkeien-mae Station", accessible from Hiroshima Station by taking a Hiroshima Electric Railway streetcar to "Hatchobori Station" and then switching to a streetcar on the "Hakushima Line."
Get on a city loop bus "Hiroshima Meipuru~pu" and get off at "Hiroshima Prefectural Art Museum (Shukkeien)" bus stop.
|Open||April ～ September: 9:00～18:00
October ～ March: 9:00～17:00
|Holiday||December 29th - December 31st|
Adults-260 yen; High School/College Students-150 yen; Elementary/Junior High School Students-100 yen
Group (20 or more):
Adults-200 yen; High School/College Students-100 yen; Elementary/Junior High School Students-80 yen