The A-bomb Dome building was initially constructed in 1914 as the Hiroshima Prefecture Industrial Products Display Hall. Such European-style architecture, with a grand oval-shaped copper dome towering over the center, was rare, and also served as a symbol of Hiroshima in those days. The hall also played a role as a museum, especially when it provided a venue for the Hiroshima Prefectural Art Exhibition, in addition to exhibiting and selling industrial products, and was renamed the "Hiroshima Prefectural Industrial Promotion Hall" in 1933.
On August 6, 1945, the hall was exposed to the atomic bombing at close range of only 160 m from the hypocenter. Since the blast hit the dome in a nearly vertical direction, some of the walls were spared from destruction. The A-bomb Dome, which was listed as a UNESCO World Heritage Site in 1996, has conveyed the importance of the abolition of nuclear weapons and everlasting world peace by maintaining its unchanged appearance from the time of the A-bombing.