Terumoto Mori, a powerful feudal lord whose domain once covered much of the Chugoku Region, began construction on Hiroshima Castle in the year Tensho 17 (1589), choosing for it a location with convenient access to both water and land transportation. At that time, large-scale construction work commenced on the castle structures, including its stone walls and fences, towers and keep, as well as the surrounding castle town.
Although Mori would later be demoted by the Tokugawa Shogunate after the Battle of Sekigahara, Hiroshima Castle continued to be maintained throughout the Edo Period by successive feudal lords, from Masanori Fukushima to Nagaakira Asano, whose clan would control the castle, and with it the domain, for twelve generations.
The original castle keep and several other structures remained through the Meiji Period, but, unfortunately, the castle was completely destroyed in the Atomic Bombing of Hiroshima. The castle keep was rebuilt in the year Showa 33 (1958) and made into a museum introducing Hiroshima's history through assorted informational materials and scale models.
The museum currently holds special exhibitions roughly seven times per year, as well as various other activities meant to raise awareness of Hiroshima and Hiroshima's history. Additionally, reconstruction of the wooden outer citadel was completed in Heisei 6 (1994), and, at the same time, the castle's stone walls and inner fences, which had remained intact since before the Edo Period, were designated as historic sites.