Memorial Cathedral for World Peace

This is a Catholic cathedral (Noborimachi Catholic Church) constructed in remembrance of A-bomb and war victims, and also to pray for world peace. Father Enomiya Lassalle, who was exposed to the A-bombing in Hiroshima, began construction on August 6, 1950 and completed the cathedral after five years on August 6, 1954 with the cooperation of the Pope and people from around the world. The cathedral was named "Memorial Cathedral for World Peace." The building was designed by Togo Murano, who was also involved in the design of Prince Hitachi's residence and the Takarazuka City Hall building in Hyogo Prefecture, and was designated an important cultural property as the first architecture after World War II along with the Peace Memorial Museum.

INFORMATION

Address
〒730-0016 4-42 Nobori-machi, Naka-ku, Hiroshima City
TEL
082-221-0621
URL
http://www.nobori-cho-catholic.com/
Open
9:00 – 16:30
Closed
None
Access
Take a Hiroshima Electric Railway streetcar for "Miyajima-guchi" from Hiroshima Station, get off at "Kanayama-cho" stop. It is a 5-min. walk. The Cathedral is located in front of Noborimachi Elementary School.
Fee
None

ACCESS

SHARE

By using this site, you agree to the use of cookies. See our privacy policy for more information.